Toggle menu

Selective Licensing Scheme

Tenants and residents

The benefits and expected outcomes of Selective Licensing for tenants, residents and the wider community are:

  • reduction in crime and anti-social behaviour (ASB)
  • better housing conditions
  • better tenancy management
  • better support
  • more cohesive and sustainable communities
  • reduced deprivation
  • increasing property values


Frequently asked questions:

If landlords do not comply with the licence conditions, who do I complain to?
Most landlords have joined the 'Landlord Support Scheme' offered by our 'delivery partner' The Home Safe Scheme (THSS), which means that inspections and complaints will be dealt with by them (though the Council remains the Licensing Authority and is responsible for enforcement). For the minority of 'direct' licences with the Council, we will deal with inspections and complaints. THSS and the Council can be contacted as follows:

How does my landlord prove they have a licence?
Licence holders must provide a copy of the licence to single households or display a copy within shared households. If they do not, ask your landlord or letting agent to provide a copy, and, if they refuse, contact THSS or the Council as appropriate.

If landlords should be in the scheme but are not, what is the procedure?
If landlords do not have a licence, then complaints can be made to the Council via:

  • email 
  • telephone 01493 846636
  • eform which allows anonymous reporting if you are concerned about reporting, though under data protection legislation, the Council cannot and will not disclose your details without your consent anyway; either submit through My Account (opens new window) or, if you wish to report anonymously, then use this form

Will landlords be passing the costs onto tenants?
We expect that most landlords will not pass on the cost of their Selective Licences to their tenants. Most Selective Licences will be paid for by the low monthly payment option of £9.50 per month. This cost can be partly or fully offset by the discounts and incentives available to landlords (eg discounts at B&Q, on mortgages, and insurance). Landlord tax changes have not led to rent increases in Great Yarmouth.

I am a tenant - what will I need to do under the Selective Licensing Scheme?
You will need to co-operate with your landlord to comply with the licence conditions, for example around anti-social behaviour, waste, and overcrowding, so you will be asked to sign agreements with your landlord. If you fail to comply, your landlord must work with the Council and the Police to resolve the problem. If problems persist, or in the worst cases, this may result in your eviction.

My neighbours commit crime and ASB - can Selective Licensing help?
The intention is to reduce crime and anti-social behaviour, so Selective Licensing will help if everybody plays their part. Landlords are expected to work with the Council and Police to deal with anti-social tenants in an appropriate way. This may include eviction if tenants continue to act anti-socially and cause a nuisance in the area. If a property is owner/occupied, the authority has enforcement powers to investigate and address ASB complaints.

Can you help with other issues that I or my family need help with?
Part of the intention of the scheme is to identify issues that tenants may be facing, such as physical and mental health, debt, social concerns, skills and education, and with their consent, put them in touch with the Council's 'Neighbourhoods That Work' partners and other organisations that may help them. THSS Housing Inspectors, or Council officers, are happy to take details of your concerns.

Last modified on 02 March 2022

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email