Toggle menu

Building control


Even if you have received planning consent for your building project, you may still need building regulation consent before you can start work. The Planning Portal website lists all the supporting documents (opens new window), known as 'approved documents'. You might also find the LABC website (opens new window) useful.

You might also want to read the information on the Electrical Safety First website (opens new window) or look for a registered electrician (opens new window)

If you are undertaking any work to your home you may wish to read the new LABC Norfolk Guide to Renovating Your Home (opens new window) and Guide to Extending your Home (opens new window).

Please read this privacy notice detailing how submitted information will be handled. Also, please see the information in our data protection section, including our General Data Protection Regulations policy.

How much does a building regulation application cost?

See our list of domestic charges and commercial charges for details of Building Control costs.

What type of application do I need to make?

There are two types:

Building notice application

This is for domestic work. You do not have to submit working drawings, but we can still ask for further information to clarify complex parts of the works. To apply, you need to fill out a form (PDF) [50KB] (opens new window) , submit a site plan and pay the fee.

Full plan application

This is for domestic and commercial work. To apply, you must complete a form (PDF) [51KB] (opens new window) , submit a copy of plans or drawings and pay the fee. You pay the fee in two instalments - one when you apply and the other when the work begins.

Can I get retrospective approval?

If you complete work without our knowledge, you will have to submit a regularisation application (PDF) [46KB] (opens new window) . You will also need to pay a fee.

What should I do if I want to carry out demolition work?

If you want to demolish a building, you must submit a demolition notice (PDF) [44KB] (opens new window) . We might then impose conditions on the way you carry out the demolition. You must not start until you have received a notice back from us.

What are the payment options?

You can make a payment using the following methods:

  • online via Great Yarmouth Borough Council's payment portal (opens new window) (select 'Building Control' followed by the relevant option under 'Other Payments')
  • post a cheque to the Great Yarmouth Borough Council, Town Hall, Hall Plain, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30 2QF
  • in person at the Town Hall by cheque or card
  • by telephone 24 hours a day on 01493 846117

What should I do if I see a dangerous structure?

A building must pose a genuine threat of harm for us to take action - unstable walls or roof tiles being blown off in high wind, for instance. Please contact us if you see a building which you think might be dangerous.

We will inspect a building as soon as possible and if it poses a significant risk, we will employ contractors to make it safe straight away. If there is no immediate danger, we will try to contact the owner and make sure they remove the danger. If they fail to comply, we can apply for a court order allowing us to do it instead.

We will attempt to recover any costs from the building owner.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email