Toggle menu


Advertising boards and display of goods on the highway

Tourist areas within Great Yarmouth (Seafront and Regent Road) have much to offer by way of creating an ambience that makes them attractive to locals and visitors alike. The Borough Council recognises this and wishes to encourage traders to promote their business activities in a way which is sensitive to the needs of its users and supports social distancing.

Alcohol and entertainment licences

Find out which types of business require a premises licence, how to apply for a licence and how to make changes to an existing business premises or club licence. You can also apply for a personal licence if you intend to supply alcohol as part of a business operation.

Animal welfare licensing

We licence a variety of premises to ensure the welfare of animals. If you operate dog breeding kennels, catteries, a pet shop or riding zoo find out your obligations and licensing requirements here. You must also obtain a licence if you intend to keep a dangerous wild animal or intend to run a zoo. New laws [under Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018] came into force on 1 October 2018, leading to the introduction of a single type of licence.

Caravan and camp site licences

The term caravan also includes motor homes, static holiday homes and residential park homes. Find out under what circumstances you need a license to operate a caravan site, how to apply for a license and how the Council enforces licensing requirements. We also hold a register of park home sites available for public viewing

Charity collections

If you want to collect for charity on the street or house-to-house you must have the correct permit/licence. You should contact the Licensing Team to discuss available dates before applying to collect for a charity on the street or house to house.

Gambling premises licence

If you wish to run a gambling facility in Great Yarmouth, you must hold a Gambling Premises Licence from the Council. You can contact us for information or advice, and you might find our Gambling Policy useful.

Houses in multiple occupation

Where to apply for a Houses in Multiple Occupation license. HMOs are houses or flats occupied by three or more persons, shared by two or more households where there is a sharing (or lack) of certain basic amenities such as bathrooms, toilets or kitchens.

Pavement licence

If you want to place tables and chairs outside your premises on a public pavement, you will need to apply for a pavement licence.

Scrap metal dealer's licence

You must hold a valid scrap metal dealer's licence if you buy, sell or collect scrap metal as a business or if you operate as a motor salvage operator.

Sex establishment licence

If you want to run a sex shop or adult cinema you will need a Sex Establishment Licence.

Skin piercing and special treatments

If you want to carry out skin piercing special treatments - things like acupuncture, cosmetic piercing, electrolysis and semi-permanent skin colouring or tattooing - in the Borough, you must be registered with us and meet the relevant byelaws.

Taxi licensing

Taxis and private hire vehicles and their drivers must hold licences issued by us. Wedding and funeral vehicles are exempt.

Temporary Event Notices (TEN)

If you want to hold off a one-off event for less than 500 people that includes selling alcohol, providing regulated entertainment and/or selling refreshments after 11pm you will need a TEN.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email