Toggle menu

Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

About Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

Do you have, or care for someone who has, a disability, long-term illness, visual impairment or mobility problems. Are you/they having difficulties in getting around the home or carrying out daily tasks?

If so, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) to help fund adaptations to your home, to help you/them live safely and independently.

Our Private sector adaptations and improvement policy details the financial assistance available to help fund works in privately-owned dwellings, who is eligible to receive it and how it is delivered.

Am I eligible to apply for a DFG?

You can apply for a DFG if you are over the age of 18 and:

  • An owner or tenant of a private property
  • A parent of a disabled child
  • A landlord on behalf of a disabled tenant

What can I use a DFG for?

DFGs can typically be used to:

  • Install a stairlift so you can get to a bedroom and bathroom
  • Build ramps or widen doors to help you get in and out of your home
  • Adapt your kitchen so that you can prepare and cook food
  • Adapt your bathroom so you can use it
  • Provide ground floor living if you are no longer able to get upstairs

How much grant can I get?

If the DFG is for a child, a young person, or you are in receipt of one of the benefits listed below, you will not have to be means tested and you could get a full grant to cover the cost of the essential work. The maximum DFG award available is £30,000.

If you receive one or more of the following benefits you will not have to be means tested:

  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit (Saving Credit does not qualify)
  • Working Tax Credit (with a gross annual household income less than £16,040)
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance

If you do not get one of the above benefits, you and your spouse or partner will be assessed financially to determine if you will have to contribute towards the cost of the works.

How do I apply for a DFG?

You should call Norfolk Social Services Access Team on 0344 800 8020 and ask for an assessment. An occupational therapist (OT) will then make recommendations on the adaptations you need and you will be contacted to complete an application form.

Help ranging from completing the DFG application form, through to project managing the works, is available from the Independent Living Services team. For more information on the services available from Independent Living Services, call 01493 846190.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email