Accessibility statement for Great Yarmouth Borough Council's corporate websites
This accessibility statement applies to the following corporate websites operated by Great Yarmouth Borough Council:
We want as many people as possible to be able to use these websites. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate the website using just a keyboard
- navigate the website using speech recognition software
- listen to the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We endeavour to make the website text as simple as possible to understand.
This statement does not cover any other website, app, or web portal not listed above.
How to make your device easier to use
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
This includes how to:
- make text larger
- magnify the screen
- change your fonts
- change your colours
- make your mouse pointer easier to see
- use your keyboard instead of a mouse
- make your device talk to you
Useful websites to help with accessibility
- Help with screen readers - RNIB website
- Microsoft accessibility information
- Apple accessibility support
Translating this website
Some content and resources on our website regarding services is already translated and available for use.
You can also view the entire website in a different language for free using Google Translate. We have provided language specific links listed below:
Please be aware that Google Translate automatically translates content and may result in unreliable translations.
Google Translate is provided for free by a third party (Google) and Great Yarmouth Borough Council cannot be not responsible for the content or accuracy of the translation.
The website incorporates text-to-speech tooling provided by Browsealoud.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- most PDF and archive documents are not fully accessible
- occasionally we add documents produced by external organisations which we cannot always make accessible
- due to tight deadlines or to meet statutory requirements, we may sometimes upload documents that are not fully accessible
- live video streams do not have captions or transcripts
- videos uploaded to YouTube do offer closed captions which are autogenerated and may not be completed accurately
- mapping elements are not fully accessible via the use of a screen reader
- some meaningful images do not have good alternate text
- some decorative images may be incorrectly identified as meaningful
- some meaningful images may be incorrectly identified as decorative
- some images contain embedded text
- some elements do not appear within the keyboard tab order
- some elements do not have appropriately descriptive labels which convey the purpose
- there are some images of text present in various areas of the website, including the news elements
- some pages and document attachments are not written in plain English
- the accessible text for some links may not be accurate when using a screen reader
- some documents have poor colour contrast
- some of our online forms are difficult to navigate using a keyboard
- some form fields do not clearly show focus when navigating using a keyboard
- some form fields have missing or multiple labels
- most form fields do not have an autocomplete value defined
- some error messages are not clearly associated with form controls
- some pages include show and hide functionality that is not fully accessible to users
- some of our forms published as PDF documents may not yet be fully accessible; where possible, we plan to replace these with accessible online forms
- some lists of links are not marked up correctly
- we have links to some systems which are operated by third-party suppliers that are not fully accessible at this time
If you need information on this website in a different format, contact us with:
- the web address (URL) of the content
- your name and email address
- the format you need, for example, audio recording, braille, BSL, large print, accessible PDF
Provide this information by:
- email: email@example.com requesting a different format
- telephone: 01493 856100
- post: Great Yarmouth Borough Council, Town Hall, Hall Plain, Great Yarmouth, NR30 2QF
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We're always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page, or think we're not meeting accessibility requirements, contact firstname.lastname@example.org reporting a problem or call us on 01493 856100.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the 'accessibility regulations').
If you're not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
Find out how to contact us via www.great-yarmouth.gov.uk/contactus.
If you would like to visit us in person, and have any accessibility requirements, please get in touch with us via phone, email email@example.com, live chat online or by writing to us to advise of your requirements.
Our offices have audio induction loops available for use.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 22 October 2020. It was last updated on 27 April 2021.
This website was last tested on 27 April 2022. The test was carried out by Great Yarmouth Borough Council.
The following pages were in scope of this test, which includes each website template page web have on www.great-yarmouth.gov.uk:
- Contact us
- Latest news from the Borough Council and our partners
- Funding Secured For The East of England's Historic High Streets Recovery
- Policies and strategies
- Marina Centre
- Fleggburgh Neighbourhood Plan examination
- Rubbish and recycling
- Rubbish and Recycling: Print All
- Accessibility statement
- Coronavirus: Residents
- Community and life events
- Search planning applications
- Pay online
- Search for 'council tax'
See the technical information about this website's accessibility