Toggle menu

Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is part of the Government's wider welfare reform plans. It replaces six working age benefits into a single household benefit in some areas, including Great Yarmouth Borough. The working age benefits replaced by Universal Credit are:

  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance

Universal Credit is paid monthly to a household. This means that when there is more than one person in a household making a claim, for example a couple, Universal Credit will be paid jointly and not to each person individually. If you would like to make an application for Universal Credit please refer to Housing Benefit and Financial Support.

Council Tax Support is still available for people who need help to pay their Council Tax and is provided by Great Yarmouth Borough Council rather than through Universal Credit. You can apply using our online form.

What do I need to do to claim Universal Credit?

You'll need to make sure you have a bank, building society or credit union account that can receive your monthly payment.  You'll need access to the internet to apply for Universal Credit and manage your claim. You will need the following information in order to apply:

Personal Information: Your National Insurance Number, your telephone number and email address.

Housing Information: Your address, your tenancy agreement including how much your rent is and your landlord's address

Financial Information: Your bank, building society or credit union details, any income or benefits you receive and any information about savings or capital you have.

What help is available?

When you make your claim for Universal Credit, the Jobcentre will identify if you need help budgeting for Universal Credit and make an appropriate referral.

If you are not used to making a single monthly payment last a month, would like help with budgeting or are struggling to pay your rent or bills, please contact DIAL, a free, independent local charity offering confidential information and advice, on telephone 01493 856900 or email You can also visit the MoneyHelper (opens new window) website for free and impartial money guidance backed by the government. 

Great Yarmouth Council tenants can contact the rent team at Greyfriars House to discuss rent payments or a referral for support. Email or telephone 01493 846726. 

Housing Association tenants - contact your landlord about the help and advice they can offer.

Private tenants - check the Norfolk Community Advice Network (opens new window) directory or local advice agencies who can help you with budgeting, benefits and debt advice.

Where can I get support?

There are a number of places where you can go to get help and advice with Universal Credit. Please see the map below for details of organisations and places offering support with Universal Credit and/or free access to a computer and the internet, where you can find out more.

When do I get paid?

Your monthly payment, paid in arrears, will include any money towards your rent you are entitled to, so you'll need to budget carefully to make sure you can pay your rent and cover your bills and living.

How do I find out more about Universal Credit?

For further information please refer to the Government's Universal Credit website (opens new window).

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email