Toggle menu

High Street Heritage Action Zone

How do I apply for a grant for shopfront improvements and building repairs?

The Council has allocated £295,000 for a scheme of small grants supporting shopfront improvements and building repairs to properties within the Heritage Action Zone (HSHAZ) area.

Grant rates

Building owners, leaseholders, or tenants with support of their landlord, can apply for small or medium grants towards eligible building repairs (75% of total costs), or shopfront improvements (80% of total costs). We may also be able to fund up to 50% of the costs of converting vacant and unused space to retail or residential use.

Eligible works

All works must be directly related to conservation or improvements that will protect the heritage value of the building and wider HSHAZ area. Eligible works include:

  • reinstatement of traditional shopfronts
  • conversion of vacant floorspace for retail or residential use
  • repair and reinstatement of architectural details and features to the façade of buildings
  • temporary building works, works to roofs and roof structures, leadworks, gutter repairs and rainwater disposal, repairs to external walls, windows and doors
  • repair or replacement of external features, damp management, and structural work to help achieve these improvements

Grants cannot cover building services, substitute materials, conjectural reinstatement, maintenance or minor repairs or work that has already started.

Please read the full guidance to see which works are eligible before starting your application.

How to apply

Applicants will need to submit an application form, with drawings of the proposed works, a priced schedule or specification, and photographs showing the building and relevant areas where work is required.

Applicants must also show how the work supports conservation and that any contractors have appropriate conservation experience. Applications to reinstate architectural features will need to show evidence of original details.

Applications will be assessed by a panel. For more information about eligible works or to submit an expression of interest to make an application, please contact

Before starting work, applicants must have obtained the relevant permissions that are required, including:

  • planning permission
  • listed building consent
  • conservation area permission
  • building regulations approval

At least three quotes should be sought from contractors. Please contact if you are having difficulty sourcing quotes.

Last modified on 22 December 2022

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email