Toggle menu

Debt advice


We have a team who help and advise Council tenants and other residents at risk of homelessness. 

I am having problems paying my bills, what should I do?

You should:

  • Get advice
  • Not borrow money to pay off your debts - get advice first
  • Make sure you are claiming all the benefits and tax credits you are entitled to
  • Tackle your highest priority debts first
  • Contact everyone you owe money to
  • Keep copies of all letters or court forms you send or receive
  • Not ignore letters or bills
  • Not be put off if a creditor refuses your request - try again and again

How can I maximise my income?

Check you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to. You should also:

  • Make sure those who live with you contribute towards their keep
  • Make sure you get enough child maintenance from your ex-partner
  • See if you, or anyone else in your household, could take on more work or work extra hours

There are organisations that can help you maximise your income.

How should I prioritise my debts?

You should prioritise your debts according to the action that will be taken against you if you don't pay, for example:

  • Not paying rent, service charges or mortgage - you may lose your home
  • Council Tax - you could be imprisoned
  • Gas and electricity bills - you may be disconnected

You should contact your creditors, explain your situation and agree a realistic and affordable repayment plan.

How do I set myself a budget?

Firstly you should list the income you get now, for example, wages and benefits. You should then consider if there are any ways to increase the amount of money you have coming in.

Next, list your spending, for example, utilities, housekeeping items, food, travelling expenses and clothing. You should then consider if there are any ways you can reduce your costs, for example, you could change your supplier for gas, electricity, TV, internet.

Where can I get help and advice?

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email