Homelessness - Duty to Refer
Who should refer?
Specified public authorities have the duty to refer those people they consider are homeless (or threatened with homelessness within 56 days) to the Local Housing Authority from 1 October 2018.
- Prisons (public and private)
- Youth offender institutions
- Secure training centres
- Secure colleges
- Youth offending teams
- Probation services (community rehabilitation companies and national probation service)
- Jobcentre Plus
- Accident and emergency services provided in a hospital
- Urgent treatment centres
- Hospitals in their capacity of providing in-patient treatment
- Social service authorities
The Secretary of State for Defence is also subject to the duty to refer in relation to members of the regular forces. The regular forces are the Royal Navy, the Royal Marines, the Army and the Royal Air Force.