Safe homes for older and vulnerable people
The local home improvement agency, Safe at Home, runs a Handyperson service for very minor jobs and can provide help and support to get larger adaptations and alterations completed.
Minor changes can include installing grab rails, putting up shelves, minor heating and electrical repairs, home security measures and installing key safes. This service is available to you if you are over 60 or disabled.
If you receive an income-related benefit, or are disabled, the charge for the service is £10 per hour plus the cost of any materials. If you do not receive an income-related benefit, the charge is £20 per hour plus the cost of any materials.
Safe at Home can also support larger adaptations and alterations and offers a range of services including:
- Help to identify repairs, improvements or adaptations that are needed
- Home visits to help complete Disabled Facilities Grant applications
- Help to draw plans, apply for building regulations and planning approvals
- Help to choose a builder, obtain estimates and organise the work
- Help and support throughout the process
- Help to ensure builders' work is of a satisfactory standard
'Safe at Home' provides free advice and help with form filling. If works are carried out, there is a fee to pay. If you would like to find out more, Safe at Home can be contacted on 01493 846190.
Healthy Homes Assistance and I'm Going Home Health and Social Care Professional Referrals.