Toggle menu

Council insurance claims

How do I make a claim for compensation?

If an individual or business thinks the Council has acted negligently and is responsible for an accident or financial loss they can make a claim against the Council.

If you wish to make a claim against the Council for personal injury, damaged property or vehicle damage, please complete our insurance claim form, giving as much detail as you can.

We will pass the details on to our insurers and they will decide whether the Council has been legally at fault and how much we should pay in compensation. Unfortunate incidents often occur which are not due to the negligence on either party. Lodging a claim does not automatically result in the payment of compensation and in many cases it does not.

If you have any queries about the process of making a claim please contact the Insurance Team:

Who is responsible for highways claims?

Great Yarmouth Borough Council is not a highway authority and is not responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of public highways (roads and pavements).

Norfolk County Council is the responsible highway authority and claims for public highways, including pothole damage, should be directed to them.

Who is the Council insured by for Public Liability claims?

Public Liability insurance is designed to provide cover to the policyholder in the event that a legal liability to pay compensation to the third party arises.

Only Great Yarmouth Borough Council and its employees are covered through the Council's insurance policies. These do not extend cover to contractors, companies, businesses or individuals dealing with the Council.

From 1 October 2015 to 31 March 2021, the Council's insurers were:

Travelers Insurance Co Ltd, 61-63 London Road, Redhill, Surrey RH1 1NA.
Our insurance policy number was UC POP 3984903 and portal ID D00073.

From 1 April 2021, the Council's insurers are:

Zurich Municipal Insurance, 6th Floor, The Colmore Building, 20 Colmore Circus, Queensway, Birmingham, B4 6AT.
Our insurance policy number is QLA-09HO68-0023 and portal ID C00108.

How do I report insurance fraud?

If you suspect someone of making a fraudulent insurance claim against the Council you can let us know anonymously by calling 01493 846621.

Who will the Council share insurance claims information with?

We may need to share the information you give us with our insurer, legal representatives, contractors or outside bodies who may be involved in the defence of the claim or for the prevention and detection of fraud.

You can find out more on our Data Protection page.

Who is responsible for insuring a former Council flat?

If we are the freeholder of your building, we are responsible for the buildings insurance. You will pay your share as part of your service charges. You must not take out buildings insurance as it is illegal to have more than one building insurance policy covering a property.

If you need to make a claim you should contact the Insurance Team:

We strongly advise that you arrange your own contents insurance to cover your personal belongings. 

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email