Toggle menu

Food safety

What should I do if I have a complaint about food bought in Great Yarmouth?

If your complaint is about a fairly minor problem you should contact the company you bought the food from.

If you think the problem could pose a public risk you should let us know. Concerns should be addressed to our Environmental Health department.

Tell us if:

  • Food is not safe to eat or actually makes you ill
  • Food is mouldy, contaminated or contains a foreign object (eg glass in a cake)
  • Additives have been used improperly
  • Something has been added to the food that affects its safety or quality (eg antifreeze in spirits)

It would be useful if you:

  • Save the receipt
  • Tell us exactly where you bought the food
  • Keep the food and its original packaging

You should contact Trading Standards at Norfolk County Council if your food complaint is about:

  • Labelling offences or misleading claims
  • The quality of the food
  • The nature of the food being incorrect (eg cod sold as haddock)
  • Food sold after its use by date   
Last modified on 02 March 2022

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email