Toggle menu

Problems with your accommodation


We may be able to help if you have problems with the condition or management of your private rented accommodation. Shelter (opens new window) and Citizens Advice (opens new window) also offer useful advice.

What should I do if I have a problem?

If your home is in disrepair you should write to, or email, your landlord or letting agent to let them know about the problem so they can carry out necessary repairs. You can download a template letter (Word doc) [17KB] (opens new window)  to help with this.

Most landlords will carry out the repairs without any fuss. However, if your landlord does not give a satisfactory response within 14 days you can contact us for advice. Before you do this, make sure that you have a copy of the original letter/email sent to them, as we will need to see proof you have already asked them to carry out repairs.

If we are satisfied that you have already contacted your landlord, and believe they are responsible for the repairs, we will advise them that we will carry out an inspection. Following an inspection, we will require your landlord to carry out any necessary repairs.

Please note that the purpose of the inspection is to achieve an improvement in your housing conditions. The inspector cannot assist in rehousing to a council or housing association home.

With any issues of damp in a property, it may be worth checking beforehand that this is not black mould caused by condensation, as this is normally a tenant issue and can be prevented by following simple steps to reduce the amount of water vapour within your home. If condensation is left within a property and disrepair arises, this can be down to the tenant to repair and can be quite costly. You can find information online with a quick search.

Does my landlord have to repair my home?

Landlords are usually responsible for repairs to the structure and exterior of the property, as well as things like baths, sinks, heating and hot water installations. Everything provided as part of the tenancy should be kept in good working order by the landlord.

You are responsible for repairing any damage you have caused, either directly or indirectly through negligence of the property and/or failing to report repairs.

Can my landlord enter my home to do repairs?

A landlord must give their tenant reasonable notice, no less than 24 hours notice unless agreed otherwise, when they wish to visit. The tenant must allow the landlord reasonable access to inspect the property and carry out necessary works.

Your landlord cannot enter the property if denied access by the tenant, however this will delay repairs and can cause future issues.

Can I stop paying my rent if repairs are not done?

You should not stop paying your rent as a protest. This could give your landlord cause to evict you and may weaken your case if you need to take legal action. Rent arrears will also affect future housing applications, so it is in your best interest not to withhold any rent.

Contact the Housing Options Team for advice.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email