Toggle menu



A leasehold property is a flat or maisonette which has been originally purchased via the Right to Buy scheme while Great Yarmouth Borough Council retains the freehold (owns the land it sits within). The leasehold has certain restrictions as per the lease along with an annual service charge.

What are service charges?

These are the charges you pay to maintain the property, along with ground rent, insurance and any eligible communal charges. You will also pay a fee for the leasehold service. More information can be found in the document Your service charges explained.

A summary of your rights and obligations are explained in the document  Service Charges - Summary of Tenants' Rights and Obligations (PDF) [183KB] (opens new window) . Information relating to tenants' rights in respect of administration charges can be found in the  Leaseholder Administration Charges - Summary (PDF) [190KB] (opens new window)  document.

What are rechargeable repairs?

Details relating to when the Council can invoice a leaseholder for rechargeable repairs can be found in section 10 of the  Rechargeable Repairs Policy (PDF) [258KB] (opens new window) .

Vandalism should be reported to the police to obtain an incident or crime number. The crime number should then be passed to your local area office or to GYNorse.

Grounds maintenance issues or block issues should be reported to the Tenancy Team at the local area office.

What are major works?

Sometimes large scale works will be required on the property, eg a new roof or door entry systems. If this work is due to cost over £250 per job, then a process will be followed called S20, which will detail the work, quotes for the work and timescales. You will be given a chance to put forward any observations regarding the work before the process is completed and the works are started.

In the event of emergency works needing to be carried out, a letter will be sent to you detailing the works but consultation may not go ahead due to limited timescales.

If you have recently had major works carried out on your block, you can share your views on the works by completing the major works leaseholder survey.

What happens if I get into arrears with service charge payments?

Information relating to the management of service charge arrears can be found within the booklet  Leasehold Service Charge Arrears Policy (PDF) [236KB] (opens new window) .

Can I carry out alterations to my leasehold property?

If you wish to carry out any alterations to your leasehold property, you need to fill in an  Leasehold Alterations Application Form (PDF) [167KB] (opens new window) and return to the leasehold officer who will record this and forward it to the asset management team to process. You will be notified within a reasonable time of the decision and, if approved, permission will last for 12 months.

What should I expect from the Council as the leasehold manager?

As the landlord and freeholder, the Council is responsible for managing the leasehold. The Council's principles and approach to leasehold management can be found in the policy booklet  Leasehold Management Policy (PDF) [151KB] (opens new window) .

Who do I contact with queries?

Enquiries relating to your leasehold can be made to the leasehold officer:

  • email:
  • tel: 01493 846259
  • in writing: Leasehold Officer, Great Yarmouth Borough Council, Greyfriars House, Greyfriars Way, Great Yarmouth, NR30 2QE

Please note, the leasehold officer's working hours are Monday, Wednesday (AM only) and Thursday.

Where can I get independent advice relating to my leasehold?

Government-funded, independent advice on residential leasehold properties can be found at the Leasehold Advisory Service (opens new window).

How do I sell my leasehold property?

If you own a leasehold property and it is within five years of purchase via the Right to Buy scheme, you will be liable to pay a proportion of the discount back to Great Yarmouth Borough Council. If you sell within ten years of purchase, you will need to offer the property back to Great Yarmouth Borough Council. If you have owned the property longer than ten years or Great Yarmouth Borough Council do not wish to purchase, then you may sell it on the open market.

Contents insurance

Affordable Home contents insurance is available for both tenants and leaseholders. 

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email