Toggle menu

Additional support available to help with rising energy costs

Residents who have already received their one-off payment to help towards rising energy costs but still struggling with energy bills may be able to receive further support.

The government has given local authorities extra funding to support those suffering financial hardship as a result of the rising cost of living called the "discretionary fund". It is available to all council tax bands, depending upon individual circumstances and provides support for a range of different situations.

Eligibility criteria:

  • Residents who are experiencing severe financial hardship and either live in Band E-H or live in a Band A-D property and have received one payment but are still struggling can apply, however evidence of the financial hardship will be required due to the limited funding available under this scheme.
  • Those living in a house of multiple occupation (HMO), experiencing severe financial hardship and are responsible for their own energy bills could be eligible if they live in a house in multiple occupation (HMO), a hostel, or have a long-term rental agreement and the cost of council tax is included in their rent but are responsible for their own energy bills. Every household living in the property can, where this is the situation, apply for £100 each.
  • Landlords of HMOs will not be eligible for any payment under the Discretionary Payment Scheme, even where they are the registered party responsible for council tax on 1 April 2022.

Residents receiving Council Tax Support or with no recourse to public funds will be prioritised.

To apply for the Discretionary Payment Scheme, residents will need to fill out the online application form by Sunday, November 13. Discretionary payments will not need to be repaid.

Those unable to complete the application form and need some help, can call 0808 196 2236 or 01493 856100.

Last modified on 11 October 2023

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email