Toggle menu

Alcohol and entertainment licences

What type of business needs a Premises Licence?

A premises licence is needed for:

  • Pubs and nightclubs
  • Restaurants/cafes that serve alcohol and/or hot food and drink after 11pm
  • Takeaways/mobile food vans selling hot food and drink after 11pm
  • Hotels, guest houses and holiday parks that sell alcohol
  • Private members clubs and social clubs
  • Cinemas and theatres
  • Off licences
  • Indoor sporting events
  • Certain musical entertainment including live or recorded music and dancing

How do I apply for a premises licence?

Read our guidance (PDF) [299KB] (opens new window) , then complete the application form (PDF) [287KB] (opens new window)

Make sure you:

  • list all the activities that you wish to provide at a premises
  • provide a detailed description explaining how you intend to uphold the four licensing objectives in Section M
  • complete a consent form (PDF) [158KB] (opens new window)  if the sale of alcohol is required; the person to be appointed as the Designated Premises Supervisor should complete the form
  • advertise the application by submitting a public notice (PDF) [114KB] (opens new window)  in a local newspaper and displaying the notice at the premise

You may wish to read our Licensing Policy (PDF) [376KB] (opens new window)  in addition to the guidance provided.

You can pay the fee via:

  • our Pay online page (select Other Payments followed by Licensing - Premises and then the appropriate option from the dropdown menu)
  • our telephone payment line on 01493 846117

The fees are determined by the Licensing Act - how much you pay depends on the rateable value of your premises. You can find the rateable value via GOV.UK Find a business rates valuation (opens new window).

Fees for premises licences
BandRateable value fromRateable value toApplication fee 2022/23Annual fee 2022/23

£87,001 - if premises used primarily for sale of alcohol 2x multiplier applied

E£125,001and over£635£350
E*£125,001 - if premises used primarily for sale of alcohol 3x multiplier appliedand over£1,905£1,050

Additional fees apply for events over 5,000 people - contact the Licensing Team for advice before you apply.

How long will my application take?

All applications have to go through a 28 day consultation period. Responsible authorities (such as Environmental Health and the Police) and other parties (eg local residents, councillors) can submit a representation objecting to, or in support of, the application.

If we haven't received any representations, we can issue your licence.

If we receive representations, we will refer your application to a Licensing Sub-Committee which will decide whether to approve your application. A meeting will be held within 20 working days of the closing date for representations. You will be invited to attend this meeting.

Do I have to do anything during the consultation period?

You must ensure that you:

  • Display a completed blue notice (PDF) [38KB] (opens new window)  in a prominent position at your premises, for the full 28 day consultation period, specifying the licensable activities and timings you applied for and specifying the closing date for representations.
  • Arrange for the same notice to be published in a local newspaper. The notice must be published within 10 working days of submitting the premises licence application. 
  • Tell us which newspaper the notice is appearing in and send us a copy.

What happens when my application is approved?

We will send your licence to you - it will list the approved activities and times plus any conditions imposed on it by the Licensing Committee or your operating schedule.

If you wish to change your specified activities or times you must apply for a variation. 

Your licence will last indefinitely unless it lapses, is surrendered, suspended or revoked.

An annual fee is payable each year on the anniversary of the grant of the premises licence. The amount of the fee payable is based on the rateable value of the premises. An reminder letter will be issued the month before the fee is due. If the annual fee is not paid, a premises licence can be suspended by the Licensing Authority. 

How do I make changes to my Premises or Club Licence?

If you are planning to make substantial changes (including changing the times you wish to sell alcohol) you must apply for a Full Variation.

The Full Variation follows the same process and has the same fees as a new premises licence application.

Minor Variations

If your changes are less substantial you can use the Minor Variation Process - this is cheaper, easier and quicker than the full variation process.

To apply you must:

We will review your application. If we are concerned that the changes will impact on the licensing objectives we will consult with relevant responsible authorities for advice.

We will take any advice or objections into account when we make our decision (minor variations are not referred to the Licensing Committee).

If we refuse your application for minor changes you can apply for a Full Variation.

Contact the Licensing Team for advice if you are not sure which process to use.

How do I take over an existing premises licence?

You should:

You can choose for the transfer to take place with immediate effect or to specify a date for the transfer. The fee is £23.

The police have 14 days to consider your application - if they have no objections we will transfer the licence to you.

What licensing applications are currently open for representation?

Details of applications for a new premises licence, to vary a premises licence and review applications, received under the Licensing Act 2003, are listed in the table below.

Applications are subject to a 28-day consultation period. Please read the Guide to making a representation: Licensing Act 2003 information to help ensure your representation is relevant.

If a representation is to be submitted, either supporting or objecting to an application, it is advisable (where possible) to email the licensing application representation to

The full application of any of those listed in the table below can be viewed by emailing the Licensing Team.

Alcohol and entertainment licence applications
Application detailsType of applicationClosing date for representations

Rameshkanna Paramchothy

6 St Peters Road, Great Yarmouth NR30 3AY

Sale of alcohol (off the premises) 06:00 to 01:00, each day.

New8 May 2024

Caister Volunteer Lifeboat Service

Caister Lifeboat, Skippers Walk, Tan Lane, Caister On Sea, Great Yarmouth NR30 5DJ

Sale of alcohol (on and off the premises), live and recorded music, 10:00 to 23:00, each day.

New15 May 2024

What is the Council's Licensing Policy?

Under the Licensing Act 2003, each Licensing Authority is required to prepare and publish a statement of its licensing policy every five years. The policy sets out the general policies that the Licensing Authority will apply when granting licences. It is produced following consultation with existing licence holders, businesses, residents and 'responsible authorities'. It is based on the four licensing objectives which are:

  • Prevention of crime and disorder
  • Promoting public safety
  • Prevention of public nuisance
  • Protection of children from harm

Great Yarmouth Borough Council hereby gives notice (PDF) [77KB] (opens new window)  that it intends to publish a revision to its Licensing Policy (PDF) [376KB] (opens new window)

The revised Licensing Policy will be published on 9 December 2020 and will come into effect on 7 January 2021. 

Will I need a licence to play live music at my premises?

You don't need a licence to stage an amplified live music performance if:

  • It takes place between 8am and 11pm
  • It takes place at a licensed premises or workplace
  • The audience is no more than 500 people

You don't need a licence to put on unamplified live music at any place between the same hours.

You can find more information on the Live Music Act 2012 on GOV.UK (opens new window).

We strongly advise that you exercise common sense when arranging live music as complaints about excessive noise could result in conditions being attached to your Premises/Club Licence.

How do I get a personal licence?

To apply you must:

  • Be 18 years or over
  • Have successfully completed an accredited level 2 award for Personal Licence Holders
  • Received a certificate to show you have completed a Basic Disclosure (criminal record check) through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) - this must be dated within 30 days of your Personal Licence Application

You must complete the application for a personal licence (PDF) [426KB] (opens new window) and send it to us, together with:

The fee for a personal licence is £37.

The licensing qualification can be obtained by contacting one of the  course providers (PDF) [38KB] (opens new window) .

Applicants must demonstrate that they have a right to work in the UK and are not subject to a condition preventing them from doing work relating to carrying on a licensing activity. They do this by providing with the application, copies of the required documents listed with the application form. Please see the guidance (PDF) [172KB] (opens new window)  for further information on the right to work check and the personal licence process.

How do I become a Designated Premises Supervisor?

Once you have your Personal Licence you are eligible to become the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) for a licensed premises.

You must sign a consent form (PDF) [158KB] (opens new window)  agreeing to be the person responsible for the premises - the licence holder must submit this consent form with their:

  • Premises Licence Application (for new Premises Licence applications)
  • Vary a DPS application (PDF) [293KB] (opens new window) (for existing Premises Licence holders to replace a DPS who is leaving their employment). The fee to vary a DPS is £23.00. The existing DPS should be notified of the new application, it is not necessary to provide them with a copy of the application form.

Once you become a DPS you must:

  • Tell the Council that issued your Personal Licence if you change your name or move home to keep your Personal Licence up to date
  • Tell the premises licence holder as they will need to update their Premises Licence

If you wish to be removed as the DPS for a premises with immediate effect you must serve a letter on the Council stating this. You must also:

  • Serve a copy of this letter on the premises licence holder and the Police within 48 hours and
  • Ask the licence holder to return their Premises Licence to us so we can update it

Who are the Responsible Authorities?

There are nine  Responsible Authorities (PDF) [14KB] (opens new window)  in relation to the Licensing Act 2003. 

What premises are currently licensed?

We are currently unable to provide an online licensing register. 

Please contact the Licensing Team if you require further information. 

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email