Toggle menu

Home contents insurance


The Council is responsible for insuring the property against fire, lightning, explosion and storm.

The Council's Insurance policy does not cover accidental damage. The Council is not responsible for damage caused by you (or other members of your household or visitors to it). You (and they) must not do or allow to be done in or about the property anything which may invalidate or otherwise adversely affect the insurance policy.

The Council does not insure any of the contents such as your furniture, belongings against theft, fire, vandalism and burst pipes and strongly recommends that you take out home contents insurance.

This can be either with a company of your choice or we offer our tenants a contents insurance scheme via Aviva.

Please refer to the  Home Contents Insurance Scheme booklet (PDF) [322KB] (opens new window)  for details of the scheme offered by the Council / Aviva.

What do I do if I want to apply for the tenants insurance scheme?

Complete and return the original Home Contents Insurance Scheme application form, signed and dated, to us (pages 9, 10 and 11 of the Home Contents Insurance Scheme booklet) at:

Rents Team, Greyfriars House, Greyfriars Way, Great Yarmouth, NR30 2QE

If you do not have access to print a form, please call the Rent Team on 01493 846726, or email us at, and request a form.

Please note email copies are not accepted by Aviva, only an original of the form signed by you.

How do I work out how much I should have as the SUM insured to cover items within my home?

Please refer to page 4 of the Home Contents Insurance Scheme booklet.

How much will the weekly cost be?

What happens if I fall into arrears with payments?

To make sure your insurance remains valid you must keep up to date with your payments. Great Yarmouth Borough Council Housing Service can cancel your policy if your premium payments fall into arrears. You may not be able to claim unless your payments are up to date.

What happens if I am in arrears?

You will need to bring your rent account up to date before you will be accepted onto the Aviva contents insurance scheme. Rent is due in advance as per your tenancy agreement.

How do I pay for the insurance?

The premiums are collected weekly on your rent account. See the Paying your rent page for information on the payment methods we offer.

What does the Aviva insurance scheme cover?

A summary of items covered is included in the Home Contents Insurance Scheme booklet.

What optional extras are covered under the scheme at an additional cost?

For information on cover for wheelchairs, mobility scooters, and personal belongings, please refer to the bottom of page 2 of the Home Contents Insurance Scheme booklet.

How do I make a claim?

Once you are on the scheme and need to make a claim, please call the loss adjuster, Sedgwick International UK Ltd, on 0345 604 8901. Details of the claim will be taken over the phone. 

The loss adjuster will contact the Housing Income Team to confirm your insurance cover and the status of your rent account.

How is my personal data processed?

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email