Toggle menu

Houses in multiple occupation

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) are houses or flats occupied by three or more persons, shared by two or more households where there is a sharing (or lack) of certain basic amenities such as bathrooms, toilets or kitchens.

Some HMOs such as bedsits, properties converted into self-contained flats and hostels, guest houses and bed and breakfast establishments may require a licence, while other houses don't. If your HMO has five or more unrelated occupants sharing one or more of the standard amenities you need to apply for a licence.  

If you are planning to apply for an HMO licence, it is strongly advised you read our Planning Information and contact the Council's Planning Department to ensure the correct planning permission is in place.

For further details on which properties require an HMO licence, and how to apply, please refer to our main page on Houses in Multiple Occupation in the Housing section.

Last modified on 23 June 2021

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email