What is community-led housing?
What is the purpose of community-led housing?
Community-led housing has been created to achieve:
- stronger neighbourhoods, shared spaces, mutual support - becoming increasingly popular for older people, reducing their reliance on public services including social care
- permanent affordability and local control of assets - genuinely affordable housing in perpetuity, exempt from Right to Buy, designed to remain affordable despite the widening gap between local house prices and local incomes
- building neighbourhoods - group self-build and collective custom build supports households to work together to develop their own homes, supporting each other through the process and building strong neighbourhoods and local skills
- greater local accountability and control over housing management - empowering local residents to control and manage their homes, leading to improved efficiencies and financial savings, offers opportunities to invest in wider social beneficial activities
- tackling empty properties - revitalising neighbourhoods, feed into homelessness strategy by offering opportunities to provide work experience and training to people from vulnerable backgrounds in safe and supportive environments, creating their own homes