Elections and voting

Collapse all Reveal all

What elections/referendums are taking place in 2017?

Local Referendum

The result of the local referendum on the frequency of the council's elections can be found in this pdf icon notice [19kb].

A special meeting of Council was held on Thursday 9 November 2017 and it was decided to change to a scheme for whole council elections.  This means that, on 2 May 2019 and every fourth year afterwards, electors in Great Yarmouth will vote to elect all 39 borough councillors simultaneously.  A full explanatory document together with appendices can be viewed below:

UK Parliamentary Election

The last UK Parliamentary Election was held on Thursday 8 June 2017 and the results can be found here.

Norfolk County Council Elections

The elections for Norfolk County Council were held on Thursday, 4 May 2017. The results for all of the Great Yarmouth divisions can be found here.

The Returning Officer for this election is Chris Walton of Norfolk County Council; the results for all of the divisions with Norfolk is available on Norfolk County Council - Elections 2017.

Am I eligible to vote?

To vote you must be:

  • On the electoral register
  • At least 18 years old
  • A British, Commonwealth or Irish citizen

European Union citizens can only vote in European and local elections. Overseas electors can only vote in parliamentary elections.

How do I register to vote?

You can register to vote at the gov.uk website. We will send you a letter to confirm you have been added to the electoral register. You will need to register again if you move home or change your name.         

Where can I vote?

You can visit pdf icon one of our polling stations [21kb] - you do not need to bring your poll card with you. Polling stations are open 7am to 10pm.

If you are unable to get to a polling station, you can vote by post. Contact our electoral team to apply for a postal vote. You should also contact us if you want to apply for a proxy vote. The person you wish to appoint as your proxy must be at least 18 years old and be (or will be) registered individually for that election or referendum.

How is the Borough divided up?

39 borough councillors represent 17 electoral wards and nine county councillors represent nine county divisions. The elected councillors serve for four years.

The parliamentary constituency covers the same area as the Borough boundary and one Member of Parliament represents the Great Yarmouth constituency.

What is the difference between the electoral register and the open register?

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone registered to vote. It is used for elections and for lawful purposes, like detecting crime or calling people for jury service.

The open register is not used for elections. Any company or organisation can buy it to confirm names and addresses - yours will appear unless you contact us and ask us to remove it.

What are your views on the proposals in the Parliamentary Constituency Boundary Review?

As a result of the consultation on the initial proposals which ended in December 2016, the Boundary Commission for England has received nearly 20,000 responses.

The next stage of the review is to publish these representations to enable others to comment on them. These comments can be received up until Monday 27 March 2017. If after this time the Commission decides to revise any proposals then a further consultation period will follow. It is expected that any such consultation will happen towards the end of 2017 or early 2018.

The initial proposals are:

Please visit www.bce2018.org.uk to view the representations and to give the Commission your comments.

What is the Annual check of the Electoral Register?

Household Enquiry Form

Residents of the borough will begin to receive household enquiry forms from 31 July 2017. These forms are an annual check to ensure the information we hold on the Electoral register is correct and up to date.  

If the details are the same please respond by using any of the following methods :

  • online via the electoral register response system or
  • telephoning 0808 2841487 or
  • texting 07786209387 or
  • signing the form and returning it to us in the free post envelope provided.

You will need the two part security code which can be found inside the form that has been sent to you.

If the details are incorrect or new residents need to be added please respond by using the following methods:

Please note if your details are new to the property further information is required before you will be registered on the Electoral Register. Please go to register to vote at the gov.uk website to complete the registration process


Powered by GOSS iCM