Privacy Notice: Casual election staff
This privacy notice explains how personal data about individuals is collected, used and shared by Great Yarmouth Borough Council's Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) and Returning Officer (RO) as an independent Data Controller in relation to casual employment for elections and electoral registration.
Why we are collecting your data
We will use your personal information for the purposes of employing staff for both election and electoral registration purposes. The processing of this information is necessary for the Council under its legal obligations as defined under Article 6(1)(c) of the GDPR. We are required by law to provide an electoral service. The processing of your information is necessary for compliance with the legal obligations contained within Electoral legislation.
This data may be written down (manual records) or kept on a computer (electronic records).
These records may include:
- details about you, for example name, address, date of birth, nationality, email, and telephone
- unique identifiers (such as your National Insurance number)
- vehicle registration number
- financial details to enable the payment of salaries
- application forms and dates of any letters of correspondence we send to you
- details and records about your past and current employment with Electoral Services
- Right To Work and employment details
What we use your information for?
- to consider an application for a position and to issue contracts for casual employment
- if employed, contact you about the position and about any information and arrangements prior to polling day
- to make payments in relation to any election work carried out
Who we share your information with?
Your data will be shared with:
- the Council's HR department for the purposes of recruitment and payment
- other casual members of staff (such as Polling Station Inspectors and polling station colleagues if employed in a polling station role) - this is limited to name, address, mobile number and position held
- election software supplier Idox if specific issues relating to the staff portal
- election claims Unit (ECU) restricted to name, and amount paid
Only the minimum information for the purpose it is required will be shared with appropriate individuals.
How long will we keep your personal information for?
Your personal data will be retained and reviewed on a regular basis and will be removed once you have informed us that you no longer wish to be considered for casual elections work or when your casual employment is terminated by Great Yarmouth Borough Council.
Where you have worked on a national poll, we are required to retain your personal details for audit purposes until the election accounts have been settled by central government. This process can take up to two years after the date of poll.
You have a number or rights available to you, including the right to see copies of all the data held about you, to ask for it to be corrected or deleted, to request the Council to restrict what it does with your data in certain circumstances, to object to what the Council may do with your data, and to data portability.
Please note that these rights are not absolute and there are circumstances where they do not apply or the Council may override these rights, however, if this is the case you will be informed of this.
If you would like to know more about how we use your information or you would like to inform us of a change to your contact details, please contact the Elections Team using the details below: