Toggle menu

Frequently asked questions - Single Person Discount review

Great Yarmouth Borough Council are currently conducting a review of all Single Person Discounts offered to residents who live alone. We appreciate in taking part in this review you may have questions. 

To help, we have included the most frequently asked questions that can arise throughout this review period below. 

Why have I received this letter?

The council are currently reviewing the circumstances of all people who are claiming the Single Person Discount. We are simply verifying your eligibility to Single Person Discount. 

How do I complete the form?

The easiest way to reply to the review is by using the text messaging or online services. Please refer to the letter you have received for instructions on how to do this using your 6-digit unique code. 

What happens if I don't complete the form? 

We will assume that your situation has changed and will remove your discount and you will receive a new council tax bill.

What happens if the form is completed after the 14-day deadline given? 

If the form is not returned within 14 days, you will receive a reminder letter. If you fail to return the reminder letter, we will assume your situation has changed and will remove your discount and you will receive a new council tax bill.

If you are looking to complete the paper form and need help. Please see the following: 

If you are the only adult living at the property, please tick the box on the right at the top of your form. Proceed to complete Section B, C and D if these are applicable to you. 

If you are no longer the only adult living at the property, please tick the box on the left at the top of your form and provide the additional persons information in section A.

Sign, Print and Date the form and return it to the address provided at the bottom of your letter. Please Note - Any letters sent without a stamp will NOT be received and your discount may be removed as a result.

Why am I being asked to return my information to a Nottingham address? 

The address provided on your letter is a secure local government scanning facility based in Nottingham who provide services to many local authorities. 

What should I do if someone is using my address for correspondence only or I receive mail for previous occupants?

Include their full name and residential address in Section B of the form, this will then be verified. This will not affect your eligibility for Single Person Discount. 

A friend or relative stays with me a few nights a week, does this mean that I am no longer eligible? 

If your friend or relative keeps their belongings at your house, then your address will be classed as their main residence. Therefore, you would not be longer eligible for Single Person Discount and will need to declare their information during the review.

I have already informed the Council of a change in circumstances. Do I need to complete the form? 

Yes. Please include all the details of your current situation. 

What should I do if my circumstances are not covered in the examples above?

If you are still unsure how to complete the form, or your circumstances are not covered, please use the online form (opens new window), and select 'Other' (My circumstances are not covered by the categories above) to write an explanation of your current situation.

Alternatively, please return the paper form to the address at the bottom of your letter, with a covering letter with an explanation of your current situation.

Last modified on 11 August 2023

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email