Toggle menu

Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is part of the Government's wider welfare reform plans. It replaces six working age benefits into a single household benefit in some areas, including Great Yarmouth Borough. The working age benefits replaced by Universal Credit are:

  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance

Universal Credit is paid monthly to a household. This means that when there is more than one person in a household making a claim, for example a couple, Universal Credit will be paid jointly and not to each person individually. If you would like to make an application for Universal Credit please refer to Housing Benefit and Financial Support.

Council Tax Support is still available for people who need help to pay their Council Tax and is provided by Great Yarmouth Borough Council rather than through Universal Credit. You can apply using our online claim form (opens new window).

Last modified on 20 January 2023

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email