Where can I get advice about industrial pollution?
We enforce the Clean Air Act which prohibits the emission of dark smoke from industrial and commercial premises. Businesses must also ensure they do not cause a nuisance as described in the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
Advice on commercial and industrial bonfires:
- Do not burn any material that creates dark smoke such as paints, plastics, tyres etc; this is likely to lead directly to prosecution
- Do not burn electrical cable to recover the metal
- Do not burn straw or stubble left in a field
The operator is under a duty of care to dispose of waste according to the law.
- All building sites are commercial
- All agricultural land is commercial