Collapse all Reveal all

Where can I go for advice on environmental water quality?

The Environment Agency is responsible for monitoring our bathing waters, waterways, dykes and ponds.

The Environment Agency routinely monitors the quality of certain designated bathing waters within the Borough. The samples are taken during the bathing season between May and September.

Bathing water profiles:

What can I do if I have a problem with my drinking water?

Anglian Water and Essex and Suffolk Water maintain the quality of drinking water in the Borough. If you have a problem with your drinking water you should contact your supplier in the first instance.

I am not on a mains water supply, where can I go for advice?

If your home has a private water supply - usually from a well, borehole, pond, spring or stream - the water could become contaminated with bacteria or have high levels of chemicals. Under the Private Water Supplies Regulations 2009, we have an obligation to sample certain private supplies. If a supply serves just one property we are unlikely to routinely sample. We sample on request at the householder's expense.

If you need advice on quality and treatment of your private water supply, please contact us.

Where can I get advice on local air quality?

The Council monitors levels of nitrogen dioxide, fine particles and ozone in the atmosphere. You can find out about local air quality information from the Council's monitoring station on the We Care 4 Air website

As part of its regular reviews, the Council also had to consider other pollutants including, sulphur dioxide, carbon monoxide, benzene, 1,3 butadiene and lead. Fortunately the levels of these pollutants are currently negligible in the local air.

The pdf icon 2016 Local Air Quality Progress Report [1Mb] revealed no concerns.


How can I find out about contaminated land?

We identify potential sites of land contamination, as defined in Part IIA of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

If you are planning to develop land that has previously been used for industry, agriculture or commerce there is a chance it could have become contaminated by its former use. Please check out our pdf icon advice to developers [1010kb]

If you have any queries or concerns about whether land may be contaminated please contact us for advice.

Where can I get advice about industrial pollution?

We enforce the Clean Air Act which prohibits the emission of dark smoke from industrial and commercial premises. Businesses must also ensure they do not cause a nuisance as described in the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Advice on commercial and industrial bonfires:

  • Do not burn any material that creates dark smoke such as paints, plastics, tyres etc., this is likely to lead directly to prosecution
  • Do not burn electrical cable to recover the metal
  • Do not burn straw or stubble left in a field

The operator is under a duty of care to dispose of waste according to the law.

Please note:

  • All building sites are commercial
  • All agricultural land is commercial

How do I get a chimney height determination?

If you are planning to erect a chimney or flue you may need to get the Council to set a minimum height. Complete a chimney height application to find out.

Note: you may also need planning permission.

Where do I find out about permits for industrial processes?

Certain industrial processes require a permit to operate from us or the Environment Agency.

We are required to keep a Pollution Prevention Control Permit Register.

We have a statutory duty to carry out appropriate pdf icon consultations [385kb] when we receive new applications, variations and transfers of permits.

Are radiation levels monitored in the area?

We are a member of Norfolk Local Authorities Radiation Monitoring Group. The Government uses these findings to assess the national picture.

Radiation levels in East Anglia are some of the lowest in the country.

The Borough is not a recognised radon gas area.

Where can I find out information about cooling towers in the Borough?

We have a register of cooling towers.

You must notify us if you have a cooling tower or evaporative condenser and we will add your details to the register. Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992 provides a definition of notifiable devices.

The main purpose of these regulations is the control of Legionella and the investigation of Legionnaires Disease.

Where can I find information about the smoking ban?

It is an offence for people in England to smoke within an enclosed public space. All workplaces must display smokefree signs. Contact environmental health if you need some signs for your workplace.

There are various penalties for smoking in a smokefree workplace ranging from a £30 Fixed Penalty Notice to a £2,500 fine.

There are some exceptions to the Act, if you are unsure of your obligation please contact us.

Powered by GOSS iCM