Safety, standards and security for private rented housing
What are my responsibilities with gas safety?
As a landlord you are responsible for the gas equipment, fittings and flues you supply. You are required to:
- Ensure gas fittings and flues are kept in a safe condition
- Ensure an annual safety check is carried out on each gas appliance/flue by a Gas Safe engineer
- Keep a record of each safety check for two years
- Issue a copy of the safety check to each tenant within 28 days of the check or to a new tenant before they move in
- Have any installations carried out by a Gas Safe engineer
If an appliance fails the safety check you must make sure the equipment is fixed or replaced by a Gas Safe engineer before it is reconnected to the gas supply and used.
If an appliance is owned by the tenant you are not responsible for maintaining or checking it.