Toggle menu

Safety, standards and security for private rented housing

What are my responsibilities with gas safety?

The Health and Safety Executive (opens new window) and Gas Safe Register (opens new window) offer advice and information on this.

As a landlord you are responsible for the gas equipment, fittings and flues you supply. You are required to:

  • Ensure gas fittings and flues are kept in a safe condition
  • Ensure an annual safety check is carried out on each gas appliance/flue by a Gas Safe engineer
  • Keep a record of each safety check for two years
  • Issue a copy of the safety check to each tenant within 28 days of the check or to a new tenant before they move in
  • Have any installations carried out by a Gas Safe engineer

If an appliance fails the safety check you must make sure the equipment is fixed or replaced by a Gas Safe engineer before it is reconnected to the gas supply and used.

If an appliance is owned by the tenant you are not responsible for maintaining or checking it.

Last modified on 22 September 2023

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email