Toggle menu

Safety, standards and security for private rented housing

What are the laws on electrical installation and work in the home?

Under Part P of the building regulations, DIY work and electrical installation work carried out by non-registered traders should be checked and certified. As the property owner, you are ultimately responsible for ensuring electrical work complies with the rules.

If the property you let is an HMO but is not licensable, the electrical wiring must still be safe. The Council can ask you to provide a valid electrical safety certificate. You must provide this within seven days of our request.

In any rented accommodation, we recommend you have your electrical equipment tested by a competent electrical engineer. This is not a legal requirement but is a sensible precaution.

The regulations do not stop you doing work or using an unregistered tradesperson, but you still need to make a Building Regulations Application or have a member of an electrical CPS (competent person scheme) check the electrical work and issue the notice and certificate.

Last modified on 25 September 2023

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email