Toggle menu

Problems with your accommodation

What should I do if I have a problem?

If your home is in disrepair you should write to, or email, your landlord or letting agent to let them know about the problem so they can carry out necessary repairs. You can download a template letter (Word doc) [17KB] (opens new window)  to help with this.

Most landlords will carry out the repairs without any fuss. However, if your landlord does not give a satisfactory response within 14 days you can contact us for advice. Before you do this, make sure that you have a copy of the original letter/email sent to them, as we will need to see proof you have already asked them to carry out repairs.

If we are satisfied that you have already contacted your landlord, and believe they are responsible for the repairs, we will advise them that we will carry out an inspection. Following an inspection, we will require your landlord to carry out any necessary repairs.

Please note that the purpose of the inspection is to achieve an improvement in your housing conditions. The inspector cannot assist in rehousing to a council or housing association home.

With any issues of damp in a property, it may be worth checking beforehand that this is not black mould caused by condensation, as this is normally a tenant issue and can be prevented by following simple steps to reduce the amount of water vapour within your home. If condensation is left within a property and disrepair arises, this can be down to the tenant to repair and can be quite costly. You can find information online with a quick search.

Last modified on 22 September 2023

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email