Toggle menu

Council house adaptations


We provide an adaptation service for tenants and their families with physical disabilities who live in council dwellings.

Please read our Adaptations policy for Council Tenants.

What types of work are covered?

The following list is typical of the types of adaptations we carry out. However, it is not exclusive and each application is treated on its own merits.

  • Fitting of internal and external grab rails
  • Alterations to existing steps and door thresholds
  • Construction of concrete ramps
  • Replacing baths with level floor or low profile showers
  • Installing a stairlift

How do I request an adaptation to my home?

You should first call Norfolk Social Services Access Team on 0344 800 8020 and ask for an assessment. An occupational therapist (OT) will make recommendations on the adaptations you need and tell us what is required. We will then send you an application form.

Do I have to pay anything towards the cost of the adaptation?

No, you will not be means tested and the Council will normally pay for works up to a maximum value of £30,000.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email