Toggle menu

What help is available?


There are several charities in the borough searching for properties, to provide accommodation for young people and young families. Some are searching for two or three bedroom houses, others are searching for larger properties for conversion or to provide office space as well as residential accommodation.

Arrangements can be either to lease or purchase, and all of the charities are happy to look at properties that require work to be carried out.

If you would be interested in working with one of these charities, please contact the Empty Homes Officer and provide your permission to pass on your details.

Community Housing

There are three community land trusts located across the borough, each is looking for land opportunities and for properties to bring back into use. Homes created by these groups are sold or rented to local people. Should you wish to explore this option, please visit our Community Housing Fund section for contact details of each group.

Green Homes Grant Scheme

If you are a homeowner or residential landlord, you can apply for a Green Homes Grant voucher towards the cost of installing energy efficient improvements to your home. This is a Government scheme and details can be found on the Green Homes Grant (opens new window) page of the GOV.UK website.

Help available from the Council

Great Yarmouth Borough Council currently has two options to try and assist owners of empty homes bring their properties back into use. 


If your property has been empty for over six months, the Council may be able to offer a loan of between £5,000 and £25,000 which will be secured as an equity charge on your property. Our surveyor will visit your property to carry out a valuation and to complete a schedule of works. There will be a £300 non-refundable upfront charge for this work. You will be responsible for obtaining a minimum of two quotes from local contractors, appointing the contractor and project managing the works. 

You can contact the Empty Homes Officer to receive further details on Council loans, or to express an interest.


The Council is looking to purchase properties. If you would like to put your property forward for consideration for purchase, please email the Empty Homes Officer with the following details:

  • property address (or as a minimum town/village)
  • type of property (house, bungalow, flat)
  • number of bedrooms
  • number of bathrooms
  • outside space
  • parking arrangements

An officer will make contact with you to discuss the process.

Last modified on 09 August 2023

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email