Toggle menu

Housing Benefit

What should I do if my circumstances change?

Use this form to let us know of any relevant changes to your circumstances. You should also check our information on temporary absence.

You must tell us if:

  • you move home
  • your rent changes
  • your landlord changes
  • anyone moves in or out of your home
  • you get married or change your name
  • anyone in your household has a change in their income
  • anyone in your household goes into hospital or prison
  • anyone in your household becomes a student, starts work or changes job
  • your savings change
  • there is any other change that may affect your benefit

You may be eligible for extended payments if you - or your partner - increase your work hours or earn more money. Extended payments bridge the gap until you are paid. 

To be eligible, you must have received one or more of the following continuously for at least 26 weeks:

  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income Support or income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Contributory Employment and Support Allowance

We will let you know if you can get them when you inform us of your change in circumstances. Extended payments are paid in the same way as Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction.

Last modified on 25 January 2024

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email