Toggle menu

Housing Benefit

How do I report suspected benefit fraud?

If you think someone is committing benefit fraud, you can report this to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Benefit fraud is a criminal offence that costs you money. Help us to stamp it out!

Ways to report benefit fraud

  • Call the National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 4400 
    Your call is free and confidential and you do not have to give your name or address; lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
    If you have speech or hearing problems you can use the text phone service on 0800 328 0512
  • Visit the GOV.UK National Benefit Fraud Hotline page
  • Write to:
    National Benefit Fraud Hotline
    Mail Handling Site A
    WV98 2BP

You can provide information anonymously, however if you do give your name this will be kept in the strictest confidence.

Types of benefit fraud

  • failure to declare work
  • non-disclosure of property, capital or income
  • non-disclosure of partner (living together as man and wife)
  • non-declaration of non-dependants or sub-tenants
  • false claims by homeowners
  • false address or failing to declare a change of address
  • landlord fraud
  • fictitious tenancies

Find out more about the National Fraud Initiative.

Last modified on 13 March 2023

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email