Toggle menu

Food establishments

Does my food business need to be approved?

Find out if you need to become an approved food premises and how to apply.

Businesses required by law to be an approved food premises

If your business makes, prepares or handles food of animal origin such as meat, fish or dairy, and supplies it to other businesses and not directly to the public, you may need to apply to us to become an approved food premises.

The types of premises that by law have to be approved include:

  • meat processing or preparation plants
  • minced meat processing operations or mechanically separated meat processing plants
  • cold stores
  • manufacturers of meat, dairy, egg or fish products

This is different to our normal food registration requirements.

Applying for approval

If you think your food business may need to be approved, please contact Environmental Health.

Alternatively, you can use our  Application for approval of a food business (PDF) [54KB] (opens new window)  form to apply.

Last modified on 01 July 2022

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email