Food establishments

If you are thinking of starting a food business, you can contact us about anything from health and safety, to licensing or waste issues.

Catch up with the latest advice and news on food safety with our pdf icon Spring 2017 Newsletter [280kb]  You can also read our pdf icon Autumn 2016 Food Safety Newsletter [399kb] containing guidance and information on food safety issues here.

Collapse all Reveal all

How do I start a food business?

You must register the business at least 28 days before you open. You must also make sure that anyone handling food is trained in food hygiene. You can book online for the following food hygiene training courses:

Course typeDatesCost (per person)

CIEH Foundation in Food Safety (formerly Level 2) - Day Course

9.30am - 4.30pm

2018: 12 September

2019: 9 January

£55 (£50 if paid more than 21 days prior to course)



CIEH Foundation in Food Safety (formerly Level 2) - Evening Course (you must attend both evenings)

6.00pm - 9.00pm

2018: 3 & 4 July, 7 & 8 November

2019: 5 & 6 March


£55 (£50 if paid more than 21 days prior to course)



Refresher Evening Course

6.00pm - 9.00pm

2018: 6 June, 15 August, 2 October, 5 December

2019: 6 February

£20 (£17.50 if paid more than 21 days prior to course)



All our courses are held at the Town Hall, Great Yarmouth. However, we are able to offer bespoke courses tailored to your business needs and in certain circumstances training can be arranged at your premises or alternative venue. For more information on bespoke courses and group bookings, please contact Sue Decordova on 01493 846186 or email

Does my food business need to be approved?

Find out if you need to become an approved food premises and how to apply.

Businesses required by law to be an approved food premises

If your business makes, prepares or handles food of animal origin such as meat, fish or dairy and supplies it to other businesses and not directly to the public, you may need to apply to us to become an approved food premises.

The types of premises that by law have to be approved include:

  • Meat processing or preparation plants
  • Minced meat processing operations or mechanically separated meat processing plants
  • Cold stores
  • Manufacturers of meat, dairy, egg or fish products

This is different to our normal food registration requirements.

Applying for approval

If you think your food business may need to be approved, please contact the Environmental Services Commercial Team on 01493 846408 or email

Alternatively you can use pdf icon this application form [54kb] to apply.

What toilet facilities do I need to provide for the public in my food premises?

If you provide any seating for people to eat and drink at your premises, you must provide public toilets and hand washing facilities for those people to use.

Great Yarmouth Borough Council has adopted a pdf icon Code for the provision of customer toilets in eating and drinking establishments [79kb]. This code has been produced to ensure adequate toilet facilities are provided within eating and drinking establishments within the Borough of Great Yarmouth. The code covers any premises or establishments used in the sale of food or drink to members of the public for consumption at the place of sale, such as cafes, restaurants, licensed pubs, bars and clubs.

How can I find out about the National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme?

If you are a food business and you wish to check your food hygiene rating, appeal your rating because you feel it was unfair or wrong and and/or you would like the opportunity to request a revisit when improvements have been made in order to be reassessed for a new rating, you can find out how to do this on the frequently asked questions section of the Food Standards Agency website.

Powered by GOSS iCM