Toggle menu

How do I report an empty property?

The Borough Council operates a joint enforcement group. Reporting a property through any one of the routes detailed below will highlight the property to other relevant departments.

Report an empty property

Officers from Great Yarmouth Borough Council visit empty properties that we are informed of and we hold a list of the properties registered as empty on our Council Tax system. However, not all empty properties are listed as such, owners may leave their property empty and not tell us, so we need your help to continue to identify empty properties around the Borough. To report an empty property, please email the details to the Empty Homes Officer.

Report an untidy property

If you would like to make a complaint about the appearance of a property you can make a formal 215 complaint via our website. Please go to our page What should I do if I see someone breaching planning regulations? where you can select the planning enforcement complaint form applicable to you, dependent on whether or not you have signed up for My Account. This will enable your complaint to be logged to address the current issue, but also to record it as evidence if required in the future.

Report an environmental health issue

If you need to report a sighting of rats at an empty property, or any other environmental health issue relating to a property, please contact Environmental Health.

Report illegal activity

If you are concerned that illegal activities are happening within an empty property, please contact the police on 101 or, if a crime is in progress, on 999.

Last modified on 13 July 2023

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email