Toggle menu

Repairs service

How do I make an improvement to my home?

In line with your tenancy agreement, you have the right to make alterations and improvements to your home. However, you must first get written consent from Great Yarmouth Borough Council or you may be asked to remove any alterations to your property at your own cost and put this back to Great Yarmouth Borough Council standard. While you remain the tenant, you will be responsible for the repairs and maintenance of these items.

Examples of improvements often carried out are:

  • electric showers
  • sheds
  • fire surrounds
  • kitchens
  • bathrooms
  • additional lighting
  • outside tap

Before you make any improvement, you must request permission by completing the Tenant Alteration and Property Improvement application form (PDF) [155KB] (opens new window) .  

Please provide as much information as you can on the application to help us with our decision.

Please submit your completed form either:

Dependent upon the request, we may need to visit your home. There will be occasions where we are not able to grant permission if the alteration impacts upon the structure of your home or may cause a health and safety concern.

Last modified on 15 February 2024

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email