Safety in your home
We will carry out electrical safety inspections for your safety every five years. When this inspection is due, we will write to you in good time to give you notice of the inspection. We then need to arrange an appointment with yourselves to carry out the inspection and complete this work.
An electrical inspection consists of:
- your electric meter
- your fuse box
- all the wires that go to and from the fuse box and feed the electricity to all your sockets and lights within your home
An electrical inspection test is also carried out in every property that becomes vacant before the next person moves in.
What can you do to keep safe?
- allow us access to your home to complete electrical safety checks
- report any electrical wiring faults
- contact us before making any electrical alterations to your home
- check your plug sockets are not overloaded with too many electrical appliances as this can lead to overheating
- check that visible cables and leads are in good condition
- check that your light fittings are not visibly damaged
- always switch off your electrical items when they are not in use
- don't try to clean or repair an appliance when it is still plugged in
Electrical Safety First provides more information on how to keep safe in your home.