Why have a street party?
Street parties are a good way for residents to meet their neighbours. This is the rock on which communities are built. The events can be held during the Platinum Jubilee celebration. Most people attend, mixing all ages and backgrounds, and the events are usually self-organised and funded.
Street parties build communities by:
- supporting social cohesion between ethnic and cultural backgrounds and age groups
- reducing fear of neighbours
- reducing fear of crime and may reduce crime through watchful neighbours
- perhaps reducing anti-social behaviour
- giving children a chance to play together in their street for a day