Ending your tenancy and moving out
This section contains information for tenants wishing to end their tenancy agreement.
The basic things you need to know
- Four weeks written notice is required from one or both tenants to end the tenancy. The notice will commence on the Monday after it is received by the Council (served on us) and end four weeks later.
- The Council may call during the notice period to assess any repairs needed, commence those repairs and advise you of any rechargeable items.
- All keys must be returned before 5pm on the Monday the notice ends. If the keys are returned prior to the tenancy ending, rent will still be payable until the tenancy end date.
- Please ensure that the property and gardens are left clean and tidy and that all furniture and personal possessions are removed.
- If vacant possession is not given at the end of the notice period the tenancy will still have ended. The Council will have the right to seek possession of the property and charge for any rental loss.
- The Council reserves the right to charge the tenant all reasonable costs incurred to gain entry, clear, clean and carry out repairs due to wilful damage or neglect caused during the tenancy.
Please read the following pages in this section for further details.