Toggle menu

Amenity Standards for Privately Rented dwellings

Gas, Electrical and Fire Safety, and EPCs

Gas Safety

It is a requirement for the landlords of all HMO properties to have any gas boiler and appliance tested on an annual basis. The gas safety check and all repair work to any gas appliance must be conducted by a recognised engineer. A recognised engineer means an engineer approved under regulation 3 of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. From the 1st of April 2009 the registration scheme administered by CORGI (Now Gas Safe) was replaced by a new scheme called the "GAS SAFE REGISTER". A person will no longer be approved for the purposes of regulation 3 if registered by CORGI.

The test certificates issued must be retained by the landlord for a minimum period of two years. In HMOs where individual lettings/ bedsits have their own gas supply and appliances then a copy of the test certificate must also be issued to the tenant.

A landlord of an HMO must make the latest gas appliance test certificate available to the Council within 7-days on receipt of a written request from the Council.

Electrical Safety

Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)

The landlord of an HMO must ensure that the fixed electrical system is inspected and tested every 5-years by a person qualified to undertake such inspection and testing - a copy of the certificate will be required as part of any application.

The inspection and test reports must be retained by the landlord and the landlord must make the latest electrical test report available to the Council within 7-days on receipt of a written request from the Council

Portable appliance testing (PAT)

It is a legal requirement that landlords ensure the safety of electrical appliances in their properties.

Landlords must not supply any electrical equipment to the HMO unless it has been portable appliance tested - this applies to fridges, freezers, cookers, vacuum cleaners and any other portable electrical items or electrical appliances supplied as part of the fixtures and fittings of the property

Minor Domestic Electrical Installation Works Certificate

It became a requirement of the Housing Act 2004 that any electrical installation fitted in a room where water is present, such as a kitchen or bathroom, requires a minor domestic electrical installation works certificate.

In certain circumstances electrical fuse boxes/meters that open out on to the means of escape need to be enclosed by 30-minute fire resistant material. Consultation with the Council is advised.

Plug sockets

Modern day living has a heavy reliance on electrical appliances. This can lead to the extensive use of multi-plug adaptors and extension leads in rooms where there is an insufficient number of plug outlets.

Trailing extension leads can be dangerous and overload sockets which may cause fires, damage to property, injury, or even death. It is therefore recommended that in addition to the plug outlets provided for kitchenettes, bedsit rooms should have at least 4-double plug sockets.

Individual bedrooms should have a minimum of 4-double sockets and combined bedrooms/ living rooms should ideally have 6-double sockets.

Fire Safety

See the Borough Council's publication Fire Precautions in Residential Dwellings for guidance on fire safety requirements in HMOs.

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) became a legal requirement for dwellings being rented in the private sector on 1st October 2008. The EPC rates the energy performance of a building. The idea is like the well-established energy labels for the sale of white goods such as washing machines. For more information, please see




Last modified on 18 January 2024

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email