Toggle menu

Your tenancy agreement

What type of tenancy do I have?

Introductory tenancy

For the first 12 months of your first Council tenancy, you will be an introductory tenant. This is a trial period, that allows us to see if you are willing to keep the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement.

During the trial period, you must show us that you understand your responsibilities to the Council and your neighbours by:

  • paying your rent on time
  • ensuring that you, or anyone living with you and your visitors, do not cause a nuisance to your neighbours or the local community
  • looking after your home and garden
  • keeping the other conditions of the tenancy agreement

Introductory tenants do not have the right to:

  • buy their home
  • take in lodgers
  • sublet
  • make improvements
  • exchange their home

If you break the tenancy conditions, we will offer as much advice and support as we can to help you get back on track. However, if you refuse to accept our help or continue to break the rules, we may extend your trial period for an extra six months or - if you seriously breach the agreement - take legal action to evict you.

During the first year, a housing officer will visit to ensure all is well and consider any support you may require to sustain your tenancy. At the end of the first year (or extended period), as long as you have kept to the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement, you will become a secure tenant.

If you want to appeal a decision of having your introductory tenancy extended, or being served a Notice of Possession Proceedings that leads to eviction, you must do so within 14 days of receiving our written notice.

Secure tenancy

Once you have completed your 12 months introductory period, you will be eligible to become a secure tenant. This will happen automatically unless we have taken any form of legal action against you during your introductory tenancy. 

Fixed-term tenancy

Once you have successfully completed your introductory period, you may in some instances receive a fixed-term tenancy dependent on your home. This type of tenancy is also known as an assured short-hold tenancy and is intended to last for a fixed period of time. We normally issue five year fixed-term tenancies.

If you have a fixed-term tenancy, you may have the right (subject to permission) to:

  • mutual exchange (swap your property)
  • add and remove a person from the tenancy
  • pass on your tenancy

We will contact you to arrange a meeting before your fixed-term tenancy is due to end, normally nine months before. We will discuss your current circumstances to see if you still require the same type of home and review your tenancy history with us. 

Last modified on 03 March 2022

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email