Am I experiencing domestic abuse?
Does the person:
- verbally abuse you - shouting/accusing, name calling or is verbally threatening?
- use pressure tactics - sulking; threatening to withhold money, disconnecting the phone and internet, taking away or destroying your mobile, tablet or laptop, taking the car away, taking the children away; threatening to report you to the police, social services or the mental health team unless you comply with his/her demands; threatening or attempting self-harm and suicide; withholding or pressuring you to use drugs or other substances; lying to your friends and family about you; telling you that you have no choice in any decisions
- disrespect you - Constantly puts you down in front of other people, taking money from your purse without consent?
- isolate you - Monitors you calls and messages, prevents you from contacting friends or relatives, tells you where you can and cannot go, preventing you from leaving your home
- control you - does the person prevent you from going out with friends, controls what you wear, where you go?
- use physical violence against you - punching, slapping, hitting, biting, pinching, kicking, pulling hair out, pushing, shoving, burning or strangling
- carry out sexual violence - uses force, threats or intimidation to make you perform sexual acts, having sex with you when you don't want to or have not consented to it, any degrading treatment related to your sexuality or to whether you are lesbian, bisexual or heterosexual
- threaten you - shouts down at you, destroys your possessions, damages objects - punching walls, wielding a knife or a gun, threatens to kill or harm you, your children or your pets, threatens to commit suicide
- harass you - follows you, constantly contacting you when you are apart, stalking you, opening your post, repeatedly checking to see who has called or messaged you, accompanying you everywhere you go