How the council can help
If you don't feel safe at home due to domestic abuse, you can contact our housing options team by either calling into Greyfriars House or by telephone or email.
- Address: Greyfriars House, Greyfriars Way, Great Yarmouth, NR30 2QE
- Telephone: 01493 846140
- Email: Housingoptions@great-yarmouth.gov.uk
- Opening Hours: we are open between 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday
If you need urgent help outside of these hours, please call the out of hours number: 01493 330369.
Our Housing Options team can help you in several ways:
- work closely with other services to provide survivors with the help they need, when they need it
- encourage survivors to make their own decisions and offer support as they find ways to build a safe future for themselves and their families
- recognise that issues surrounding abusive relationships are complex and long-standing and may not easily be solved
- carry out an assessment to see if you are at risk of homelessness due to violence and give you advice on your housing options - while your case is investigated you may be offered emergency accommodation in a safe location, this could be outside of the area you live in
- put you in touch with other organisations that provide support and legal advice in relation to your accommodation
- support you to contact your landlord to tell them what has happened and discuss safety measures they could put in place for you at your tenancy
- make a referral to the Norfolk Integrated Domestic Abuse Service (NIDAS) - this is a free, safe and confidential service designed to empower those who are experiencing domestic abuse
- can look to add target hardening measures to make your home safer
For further information on housing or homelessness see our I need somewhere to live section.