Toggle menu

Council Tax Overview and Paying

Can I appeal my Council Tax band or bill?

Valuation Band

Visit the Government's Council Tax appeals (opens new window) page for information on Council Tax bandings and for information on banding and appealing your Council Tax band.

You can challenge your Council Tax band for free. You may choose to appoint an agent to carry out this work on your behalf.

If you choose to appoint an agent, you should be aware that there are a number of Council Tax agents operating around the country. Please see the Government's Council Tax and Business Rates Scams (opens new window) page for more information.

Liability, Exemptions and Discounts

You can contact our Council Tax team if:

  • You have been sent a bill but do not think that it is your responsibility
  • We have refused an exemption or discount and you still think you are eligible
  • You think we have calculated your bill incorrectly

We have two months to investigate your appeal.

Last modified on 14 August 2023

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email