Toggle menu

Council Tax Overview and Paying

What happens if I don't pay my Council Tax?

If you miss a payment or pay late, we will send you a Reminder giving you seven days to pay. If you do not pay the first reminder on time, you will be sent a Cancellation Notice. If you pay the first reminder, but fall behind again, you will be sent a Second Reminder. If you do not pay the second reminder on time, you will be sent a Cancellation Notice.

A Cancellation Notice means that you have lost the right to pay your Council Tax in instalments and you will have to pay the full outstanding balance within seven days.

If you fail to pay a cancellation notice, we will issue a Summons Notice for you to appear in the Magistrates Court. This means you will have to pay any summons costs incurred.

If you are unable to pay the outstanding balance in full you can apply for a Special Arrangement to pay the outstanding balance by instalments. You can do this by completing our Special Arrangement form. Any Special Arrangement will be subject to a Liability Order being obtained and £75.00 summons costs will be added to the outstanding balance.

If you are unable to make payment or require assistance please contact Customer Services immediately.

If you don't pay the summons balance in full, or agree a Special Arrangement, the Liability Order means we are able to take further recovery action which could include an attachment to your wages or benefits. We could also use enforcement agents (we use Rundles, (opens new window) Rossendales bailiffs (opens new window) and Jacobs (opens new window)), issue a bankruptcy order or even summons for imprisonment to recover the money. If you contact us after you have been summonsed, we may be able to come to an arrangement.

Last modified on 18 March 2024

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email