Toggle menu

Legal and illegal eviction

What should I do if I am being harassed or illegally evicted?

Contact our housing options team as soon as you can. If you feel threatened, or if your eviction occurs in the evening or over a weekend, contact the police. You could get a court order to stop your landlord harassing you and could claim compensation for any acts of harassment.

It will help your case if you keep a record of:

  • Names and addresses of anyone involved
  • Any witnesses
  • Any police officers involved and the police incident number

We may be able to provide you with advice or negotiate with your landlord if they are trying to evict you illegally. In extreme cases we can prosecute them.

Last modified on 22 September 2023

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email