Council Tax Discounts, Exemptions and Support
Who can get Council Tax Support?
You can get Council Tax Support if:
- You are responsible for paying the Council Tax bill
- You are on a low income - from benefits or low paid work
- You - and your partner - don't have more than £16,000 in savings or capital, unless you are getting Pension Credit
Use our Council Tax Reduction Calculator to find out how much you are entitled to.
You cannot get Council Tax Support if any of the following apply:
- You are an asylum seeker - unless you have been given refugee status or indefinite or exceptional leave to remain in the UK
- You have been admitted to the UK on condition that you have 'no recourse to public funds'
- You are a sponsored immigrant and have lived here for less than five years, unless your sponsor has died
- You are in the UK illegally or your permission to stay has run out