Council Tax Discounts, Exemptions and Support
What is Council Tax Support?
Council Tax benefit has been replaced by a Local Council Tax Support Scheme. This change only affects working age claimants. Pensioners are protected from the new scheme.
The change means that:
- Some people will now have to pay a small amount of Council Tax
- Some people will now have to pay more
- Some people will no longer be entitled to help
Local councils have set up a scheme taking into account the funding which is available and the three main guidelines set out by the Government:
- Pensioners being fully protected
- Vulnerable groups being protected as far as possible
- The Government's work incentives not being undermined
For the last three years, our local scheme has been similar to the national scheme for pension age with the exception of the maximum amount of help customers of working age can qualify to receive is restricted to 91.5% of the Council Tax liability.
Further scheme information can be found in our Council Tax Reduction Scheme document.