Toggle menu

Council Tax Discounts, Exemptions and Support

How do I claim Council Tax Disabilities Reduction?

If you or someone in your household is disabled (including children) and you have made alterations to or additions to your home to help cope with the disability - or recently moved into a house/flat which has extra space or special features needed because of the disability - then you may be able to claim a reduction in your Council Tax bill.

This is a form of tax relief: if you qualify for this reduction it is your right to receive it. If in doubt, apply - you have nothing to lose.

Qualification under the Council Tax for Disabilities Scheme includes people whose home have:

  • an extra room needed because of disability
  • an additional Kitchen or Bathroom
  • sufficient space to allow the use of a wheelchair

It is not essential for someone to be registered as a disabled person in order to qualify for a Disability reduction. You can apply for this reduction by filling out this form online, we then contact you to arrange to visit you at home to discuss your application and eligibility for a reduction.

Note: qualification for this reduction does not affect your right to apply for Local Council Tax Support. You may qualify for both the disablement reduction and Local Council Tax Support.

Last modified on 02 March 2022

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email