Toggle menu

Rubbish and recycling

What should I do with clinical or hazardous waste?

We collect clinical waste from homes free of charge. Clinical waste includes incontinence pads, stoma bags and dressings.

Call Great Yarmouth Services Ltd for advice if you have clinical waste that is contaminated with blood borne matter. If you have incontinence items, including incontinence pads, urinary catheter bags/tubes and stoma bags these should be double-bagged and placed in your black rubbish bin.

If this extra waste causes capacity issues within your black bin, you can apply for an additional black bin for clinical waste.

Wound dressings, some forms of dialysis and some wound/blood catheters need a special collection and cannot be placed in your black rubbish bin. For these, please contact Great Yarmouth Services Ltd.

If you have clinical sharps, please see our information on pharmacies where residents of the borough can take clinical sharps for safe disposal.

We cannot collect any of the following items: 

  • gas bottles
  • asbestos
  • chemicals
  • paint
  • sunbed tubes
  • coal bunkers
  • any unidentified substance in any type of container

You can take other hazardous waste to your local recycling centre on certain weekends, that we will advertise closer to the time. The hazardous waste weekends are usually held in the autumn. Norfolk County Council (opens new window) schedules the hazardous waste days for Caister.

Visit the Caister Main Recycling Centre Plus (opens new window) page for general opening times, directions to the centre and additional information.

Visit Norfolk County Council's hazardous waste page (opens new window) to check which items you can take and the hazardous waste weekends at other Norfolk recycling centres. Please note that paint is now classed as hazardous waste.

The Health and Safety Executive website (opens new window) offers advice on managing asbestos.

Last modified on 01 April 2023

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email